Red Feather Lakes Elementary School
Principal: Tom Schachet
Grades: Pre K - 5
505 N. County Road 73C
80545 Red Feather Lakes
Red Feather Elementary School, located 48 miles northwest of Fort Collins, was originally a two-room schoolhouse. Built in 1985, the modern 10-acre campus is situated on the edge of the Roosevelt National Forest and nestled among pines and rocky outcroppings.
Featuring a multi-graded learning environment, Red Feather has 3 certified teachers with classrooms divided as Kindergarten-1st grade, 2nd-3rd grades, and 4th-5th grades, along with a resource/literacy lab. Our intimate atmosphere assures staff members know every student and encourages the highest level of instruction and learning opportunities. Students develop an appreciation of nature and take advantage of outdoor learning opportunities, including a ½-mile nature trail. Red Feather students benefit from ongoing collaboration and best practices shared between staff at the three Mountain Schools.
Academic Environment & Features
- Free full-day kindergarten
- Daily preschool program for 3-4 year olds includes space for additional students
- Small student/teacher ratio
- Challenging math program and learning opportunities focus on literacy instruction, including rigorous reading and writing
- Literacy lab provides reading support
- The fully networked computer lab (including new computers) and a media center complement all instructional areas
- Art, music, and physical education weekly
Instructional & Enrichment Programs
Differentiated instruction in our multi-age classrooms helps deliver the PSD standards-driven curriculum. Gifted students are offered extended learning opportunities through the Explorer program and daily classroom activities. Outstanding community events such as literacy nights, summer programs, and the annual Costume Carnival are offered.
Opportunities for Parents
Our highly supportive Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) meets monthly and hosts a variety of events for students and the community. Many parents volunteer in classrooms and assist with after-school enrichment activities.